Friday, December 5, 2008

Donate your gently used children's books

Give the gift of reading.

Your child is surrounded by books, but just doesn't want to read. (Don't worry - we're working on that.) In Toronto, there are thousands of kids who love to read, but can't afford books of their own.

Fortunately, the Children's Book Bank gives free books to children who otherwise wouldn't have their own.

If you've been reading this blog regularly, you know about the correlation between children who are surrounded by books, and children who excel at school. It's very important for children to have books they can take home, read in bed, and enjoy at their leisure. Books they never have to give back to the library.

The Children's Book Bank is a non-profit organization that gives low-income kids a great space in which to browse for nice books, free story readings, and a book they can keep.

Please:
*Drop off gently used or new books at The Children's Book Bank at 350 Berkeley St. at Gerrard, just west of Parliament (10-6 Tuesdays to Thursdays; Saturdays 10-2).
*Ask your friends to donate books as well.
*Donate money to the Children's Book Bank.
*If you happen to know me personally (lucky you!), give me your gently used children's books and I'll take them down to the Book Bank.

It breaks my heart to think about children in this we-have-so-much city not being able to afford a book.
Breaks. My. Heart.
So I am organizing a book drive. You can give me your used children's books and I"ll take them down to the Book Bank. Post here and I'll contact you, or e-mail me.
For more information about the Book Bank, read this excellent article that appeared in The Toronto Star.

2 comments:

Alison said...

Is there a similar activity this year? I have a few that I think will be useful for others.

Joyce Grant said...

Hi Alison,

I wasn't planning on anything, but it's a good idea. Maybe during Literacy Week this month (January 2010).

I'll blog about it if I decide to do it.

Thanks again.

-Joyce